3.31.2010



I've been talking about work a lot lately (or at the very least I've been thinking about it a lot lately). Probably because most of my life consists of work. I commute 2 hours every day and then spend 8+ hours here. Not to mention all the stuff I take home-both to work on and to ponder on. It's kinda my life right now. (although I did have a date last night which was pretty fun)

Some days I hate that my life revolves around work, other days I'm okay with it. Today is one of those I'm okay with it days. Because I remember why I became a counselor in the first place. And why I'm still working on the reservation. I'm okay with it all because I feel like maybe I've managed to make some kind of difference for these sweet little kids.

And the kids have certainly made a difference in my life. You want to know how my day started out? Here is my what happened when I walked into a K class for a few minutes:

Kid 1-Oh Miss Camille, I love your shoes.
Kid 2-I love your shirt.
Kid 3-Well I love your jacket.
Kid 4-I love your shorts.
Kid 5-I love your hair.
Kid 6-You are so beautiful.

Makes your day, right?

Of course, then I sent a copy of it to a teacher friend who teaches at a rough high school, and this is how her day started:

I said “good morning” kid 1 said “ugg”
Kid 2 “f-you Seiter”
Kid 3 laughed
Kid 4 talked the entire class and asked me what I was going to do about it.
I said “ have a good day” kid 5 said “f- school”

Pretty sure I should always have "I'm okay with it" days since I never have to deal with the naughty older kids!

3 comments:

Morgan said...

I know you are making a difference in lives of the children there- I'm sure that's what keeps you going everyday! :-) I miss interacting with groups of kids and their families....but I know what you are doing is extremely exhausting and emotionally draining work!

I want to hear about this fun date!!!!

And I heard a "rumor" that you might be headed to my neck of the woods this summer for vacation...

Rachel Wagner. said...

it's funny your first statement is almost the same as the first sentence in my most recent post! I guess we are on the same page!

Camille said...

Morgo-details of the date will come I guess :) And I hear the same rumor...and if I do come down there for a little reunion, you better plan on having a visitor for a couple of days!