12.20.2010

I live in a haunted house.

A really, truly haunted house.

I used to think that maybe it really wasn't haunted or that maybe I was going crazy but recent events have led me to believe that it is, in fact, haunted.

Now those of you that know me in "the real world" may be tempted not to believe me. You might be thinking about how much I love haunted houses and how much I love telling stories. And you may start to think that I am exaggerating a little. This was my mother's response when I told her.

But for those of you that are skeptical, I'm telling you that it isn't just a story. And, ironically, turns out I really don't enjoy living in a haunted house after all those years of talking about how much I loved haunted houses.

The thing is-it's creepy hearing weird noises or people talking or people walking around and shutting doors-it's creepy when you hear those things and you know that no one is upstairs. It's even creepier when you verify that there is no one upstairs by sending up boys with their guns to search the whole house (closets and showers included) just to make sure that someone hadn't snuck in at some point to scare us.

Our haunting started quite a few months ago when we heard very distinct and loud footsteps from upstairs. And no one was up there.

We tried to brush it off. Until a week later when we hear more footsteps. Then I got freaked out.

But then our ghost was quiet for awhile. Except that over Thanksgiving a picture may have been flung off the wall. And then more footsteps and doors shutting when no one was home. And then a little encounter where a voice was actually heard.

I'm not sure yet how I connect my strong religious beliefs with haunted houses. If you would have asked me a year ago, I would have told you that there is no way that ghosts really exist to come haunt people. But this year, I'm convinced somehow that they do.

I'll keep you posted. And just so you know, I'm still surviving despite knowing that I live with a ghost.

No comments: