12.08.2009

In Maryland, a wondrous miracle called a snow day exists. A snow day is when it snows so much that it makes driving dangerous so the school board decides to close down the schools for one day. Students everywhere rejoice and then put on their snow pants and boots and play in the snow until they can't feel their fingers anymore. Then they come inside for delicious hot cocoa and blankets and movies. Noses are red, toes are frozen, and hearts are full. It's amazing.

Apparently in Utah they have never heard of this miracle. Utahns believe that no matter how much snow there is or how dangerous the roads are, school should still be held. Because education is so important to them (is that why Utah is like number 48 on the list of funding for education?!? Because we care so much that we put our children in over populated classrooms with old textbooks?). This morning I woke up to what in Maryland, would have been a joyous sight. A foot and a half of snow that fell overnight and more expected throughout the morning. It would have been amazing except that it was only 5:15 in the morning and I was getting up to go to work.

The roads were horrible, we got stuck a few times, I prayed multiple times for my life. My beautiful snow day was ruined. Thanks a lot Utah. Thanks a lot.

3 comments:

Eric said...

It's true. I can only remember one time where school was cancelled because of the snow. I LOVE snow except when I have to drive in it.

Rachel Wagner. said...

It's totally lame that Utah doesn't have snow days. Why not work it into the schedule like other states do? Why not keep the students as safe as possible?
I have fond memories of snow days. I remember sitting by the radio just hoping for "Frederick County Schools are Cancelled" and then jumping up and down in excitement! So great!

Ellie said...

Amen sister...Maryland winters were the best. I remember having school canceled for the 'threat' of snow once, and all it did was rain! Ha!