11.06.2008

Enjoy

One of the things I love most about living on the reservation...

Navajo Fry Bread

  • 4-5 cups flour
  • 3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup instant milk
  • 2 cups water

Filling

  • 1 1/2 lbs ground beef
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 3/4 teaspoon garlic salt
  • 1 can pinto beans

Suggested Toppings

  • grated cheese
  • salsa
  • lettuce
  • tomato
  • onion
  • sour cream
  • green onion (whatever sounds good)

Directions

1 To make fry bread: Mix dry ingredients.
2 Stir in water.
3 Knead dough lightly; cover and let rest 15 minutes.
4 Heat 1" vegetable oil in a 10" skillet.
5 Pinch off dough in small amounts and pat dough into thin 8" circles.
6 In the hot oil, quickly brown on both sides.
7 Drain on paper towels.
8 To make filling: Brown ground beef and onion, drain.
9 Add beans and garlic salt.
10 Simmer 10- 15 minutes.
11 To Serve: Spoon filling onto frybread.
12 Top with grated cheeses, salsa, lettuce, onion, or whatever sounds good.


(recipe shared by Leta from www.recipezaar.com)

3 comments:

Eric said...

That looks delicious! I will have to try that recipe. I'm sure the food down there is amazing. Thanks for sharing.

Morgan said...

I have to admit the fry bread looks kinda scary! (I'm definitely not a cook- what is instant milk?) Have you had this? If you say it's good, we might try it :) We pretty much eat the same dinners week after week...so it might be time to be a little adventurous!!

Jackie said...

YUMMY! I had one at the Prov 4th of July carnival/street fair thing and it was as delish as any Navajo Taco I've ever had. In fact, I'm putting this stuff on my grocery list it's that good :)